Monday, February 14, 2011

I Just Did What?

Do you ever have that feeling like what you just did, or said, was the completely wrong choice? I've had too many of those recently. I'm not going to go into details about what exactly happened, just know that I had one of the "oh s@*#" moments.

I know that everyone has these moments in life, but when it happens to you it seems more real. We always criticize ourselves more than others do. I think that this is both a good thing and a bad thing.

It's a good thing when we are harsh on ourselves because it allows us to see our own flaws. By being able to see our flaws we can finally correct them, and move on through life as a better more productive person. This reminds me a lot of the "try and try again method". Mistakes are what make us better people, without mistakes we would never learn what is right or wrong, or how to accomplish a task the right way. With the right motivation we can accomplish anything we want, whenever we want. You can be who you want to be, no matter how much of a fool you feel like at times.

The downside of being harsh on ourselves after these instances is that we are typically too hard on ourselves.  Usually we see the situation as being worse than it is, when in fact it wasn't that bad and will end up being a good thing. I don't know about anyone else but speaking for myself, if I'm too hard on myself I feel like I can't get where I want to be, or do what I want to do.  Too many instances of failing or making a fool of myself can get me down, especially if I'm bringing myself down at the same time.

To the one, maybe two people reading this blog: Don't be too hard on yourself! Don't be afraid to make mistakes! It's failing that makes us better people, makes us able to succeed fully when we finally get it right.
Failing makes us learn and grow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you ma'am. Whenever I get hard on myself, I definitely think that I can't get to where I want to be. So yea, I'm with you...

    ReplyDelete